Sunday, December 11, 2011

Objections and Alternative Solutions



Some students may object my idea that limiting the time of your cell phone will in turn become more hours in which they can sleep. I was also a little skeptical of the idea at first but then I thought about it. When I do my homework I am usually texting someone or even when I go to the library my phone is right there. When I discovered that a student on average spends 14 hours a week texting it made me realize I could have been sleeping in those hours. 

Another one of my solutions that students may object is that the use of Facebook can cause lack of sleep. I for one can confirm that Facebook greatly distracts me. It causes me to make a simple assignment into a project. For those students that are not distracted by Facebook like me, I commend you. I think that Facebook causes many students to not have enough time for sleep, but it may not apply to everyone.

An alternative solution to make college students get enough sleep would be to simply stop partying. But I reject that solution. That is a problem, but it is not the only problem. If college students stopped partying all together that does not mean they have more time to sleep. They would still have the same amount of homework to do and they would still have to manage their social lives. 

Another solution that I would reject would be that if college students cut down on their caffeine intake they would be able to sleep more. The thing is the reason that these students are drinking coffee is to stay up to finish the work that they need to get done. They are not losing sleep because of their caffeine intake, but they are drinking caffeine to help them stay up.  

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree on the texting aspect. Sometimes I can't go to sleep because I'm just staring at my phone waiting for a text I want to see. I know it's bad but it's true and i bet a lot of teenagers do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's like an addiction that's so hard to break.

    ReplyDelete