Sunday, December 4, 2011

Do I Really Need Sleep?

There are so many of us that believe it is unnecessary to sleep. I for one believed that if I stood up the night before an exam and crammed that I would be fine. I would get the exam over with and go home and go to sleep. The problem would be solved. However, research was done and proved my point wrong. There is a connection between sleep and test scores. The more sleep you get the more likely you are going to score well on the test. Conversely, the less sleep you get the more likely you will score lower on the test. There was a study that was published by the Journal of American College Health that confirmed that students that get proper amount of sleep do better in school than does that do not.
There are also many other negative effects that lack of sleep can have on a student. If a student does not get enough sleep he or she will have problems in many areas. According to the online sleep clinic lack of sleep can lead to headaches, sore muscles, memory loss, weakened immune system and the inability to deal with stress. These side effects conclude my theory as to why sleep is so important in college students. If a student does not get enough sleep they may not be able to remember everything they studied the night before. Or if a student does not get enough sleep they can catch a cold or some illness that is traveling throughout the dorms.

In this video the "Health Guru" Dr. Gorski discusses some of the negative consequences of lack of sleep.
Video Courtesy of YouTube
Now we know why we need sleep is so important. But the question is how are students with their busy schedules supposed to get sleep? I will soon answer this question.

2 comments:

  1. I've always needed my sleep. I'll forget about homework and do it the next day if I'm not done by my bed time which is like 11 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briana says:

    OMG! This is like the story of my life. I never get to sleep anymore now that I’m in college. There is also something to be done whether it is homework, class, hanging out with friends, sports, and studying. I don’t think I have seen my bed at all this semester. I really could use some sleep time. When you figure out a solution to how to get more sleep in college please let me know because I really need it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete